Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chef's Hat: Coming up with ideas and Puff Pastry !

So my first Chef's hat post. Whenever you see this, it means its going to be something a little more complex and playful than my simple dishes! This will usually be in a story-like way, so you can follow me and see how I get the ideas and so on !

With flavour pairing on my mind, I want to create a starter with puff pastry. Sometimes for me the hardest thing about cooking, isn't the preparation or the cooking time or any of that, but merely how to get ideas, thats why we have millions of cook books, websites etc just for that. I'm trying to slowly create a system for easily finding great ideas. Till then, im going to use a flavour pairing chart to see what goes with puff pastry, lets have a look; 




I like the idea of doing something with cheese, so I'll make it with blue cheese inside, pair it with a glass of Gewürztraminer. So I know now we'll have the pastries texture, the soft cheese inside, so something is missing, some colour on the plate, maybe some sort of reduction, so i'll check what goes well with blue cheese! 



So, as we can see now, both go well with Strawberry, and both go well with peanuts. Or I could go Asian with the Kecap manis sauce, but, the plate still needs colour ! So ill choose for a strawberry reduction to serve the puff on, drizzled with balsamic vinegar. And why not coat the pastries with peanut oil to cook. 

This should turn out really well ! Will post when I make it,

And there we go a great idea ( I think ) thought up as I write :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment